The battle of Beresteczko
Painting by Juliusz Kossak and Joseph  Brodowski
The battle of Beresteczko
Painting by Juliusz Kossak and Joseph Brodowski
The battle of Beresteczko
The battle of Beresteczko, Painted by Vernier
Antepedium przedstawiające hołd składany Matce Bożej after battle of Beresteczkiem.

Sanktuarium Matki Bożej Chełmskiej

King  of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania, John II Casimir Vasa of Beresteczkiem, 
Painting by Antoniego Peterowskiego
King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania, John II Casimir Vasa near Beresteczko,
Painting by Antoni Peterowski
Obelisk ku czci pomordowanych by Tatarów on polu the battles of Beresteczkiem,  view from 19th c.
16th c.  the palace Bogusza Bogowitina and ks.Prońskich in Beresteczku,  view from 19th c.
16th c. the palace, view from 19th c.
17th c.  Orthodox church Saint  Michael
17th c. Orthodox church Saint Michael
fot. Travel Office "TOP"
The orthodox church  Saint  George  (1912-14)
The orthodox church Saint George (1912-14)
fot. Travel Office "TOP"

Volhynia (Volhynia) Province [Voivodeship]
 II Rzeczpospolita
 BERESTECHKO

Polish: Beresteczko,


Ukrainian: Берестечко, Berestechko


Tarnopolskie - Brody, Radziechów, Tarnopol, Zbaraż, Zborów, Złoczów, Wołyńskie - Dubno, Horochów, Krzemieniec
 mapa 1:75 000 
PN -  ZACH
Beresteczko, Boremel, Brody, Łopatyń, Radziwiłłów

PN -  WSCH
Dubno, Krzemieniec, Poczajów

PD -  ZACH
Olesko, Podhorce, Podkamień, Pomorzany, Zborów, Złoczów

PD - WSCH
Horodyszcze, Tarnopol, Załoźce, Zbaraż

Situated on Styr River, 140 km on North from Lwów [Lvov]. In 1445 first mentioned.

In 1547, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania, Sigismund I the Old [Jagiellon] Stary granted to Beresteczko Magdeburg Rights.

There is the place of the largest battle of the 17th century, part of the Chmielnicki Uprising, From June 28 to June 30, 1651, between the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth army (150,000 troops) under King of Poland Jan II Casimir Vasa and Cossack and Ukrainian forces [100,000 peasant], led by Bohdan Khmelnytsky, and their Crimean Tatar [circa 20,000 - 40,000 cavalry] allies.

In effect, Cossacks were forced to sign the Treaty of Biała The orthodox church [Biala Tserkiev] with the Poles.

Since 1765, Beresteczko belonged to Zamoyski family, from 1795 - to Plater family.

During the November Uprising (1830–1831) (Cadet Revolution - an armed rebellion against the rule of the Russian Empire in Poland and Lithuania) near Beresteczko polish soldiers by general Joseph Dwernicki were fighted againts Russian army.

From July, 29 to August, 4 1920 there were strong battle between polish cavalry [2 Army] by general Casimir Raszewski and bolsheviks (Cavalry Army by Semyon Budyonny).

From 1919 to 1939 town returned to 'Rzeczpospolita' [Second Polish Republic] - in Horochow district in Volhynia province. Beresteczko belonged to Proński family.

After the Soviet (1939-41, 1944-91) and German (1941-44) occupations , from 1991 the little town in western Ukraine. [Population 2,500]


Print this page